Lace Closure or Silk Base Closure
Even if a wig is of the highest quality, if it does not have a good closure, it will not give that natural-looking appearance desired by wig wearers.
The goal is for the wig to look as real and natural as possible, and good closure will make or break your look.
In this post, we will consider two types of common closures: Lace closure and Silk Base closure.
We will give some information about these two types of closures, their differences, and which one is better. Read on to find out more!
Closures: What are they?
A closure is, by definition, a piece of fabric with hair attachments that plays the sole role of closing in a sew-in or a quick weave.
If your hair does not have a closure, it will look unnatural. With a closure, all sections of your natural hair are included in the weave.
Aside from making the hair look more natural, a closure also protects the real hair on the scalp.
Now, let us discuss the two types of closures we are focusing on: Lace Closure and Silk Closure
As the name implies, lace closure is a piece of fabric (lace) with hair strands attached to it.
Lace closures make the wig look more natural and are especially liked for the way it makes the hairline look more natural.
Advantages of Lace Closure
- It looks like scalp!
When properly installed, it looks like a real scalp. Thus, the wig appears to be actually growing out of your scalp.
- It is easy to fix and makes the hair look like the real thing.
What we don’t like about lace closure
- Although it is easy to fix, it still requires adjustments to get the best outcome
- It needs bleaching. The knots of this closure needs to be bleached to get the best look. This can cause complications, especially if the bleaching is not carried out properly.
Now, let us see Silk base closure
Just as lace closure is made of lace, silk base closure features a silk base that has hair strands attached to it.
However, aside from the silk base, it has lace material inherent in it. It is a mixture of silk and lace.
Why do we like silk base closure?
- Since it has a lace reinforcement, it is more durable than other types of closures.
- Unlike lace closure, silk base closure does not need any bleaching of the knots. The scalp is copied almost impeccably.
What we do not like
- A flat installation is not usually achievable because the closure is thicker than lace closure.
- Depending on your skin tone, you might need to dye the silk base.
After considering the two closures individually, let us now consider the main differences between the two.
- Cap Construction
Silk closures look more natural. The construction of the cap and the closure makes it a great finishing piece.
However, silk closure sacrifice flatness for better construction. As a result, lace closures lie flatter than silk closures.
- Materials of Closure
As their respective names imply, they are made of different materials. Lace closures are made from lace material while silk closures feature silk and lace materials.
Which is better?
The “better” closure is the one that looks natural on you. To decide, you should test wigs with both closures to see the one that you feel comfortable with, and that provides you with the most natural look.
No matter which you choose, you can be sure of a beautiful and stunning appearance.